Sunday, 3 March 2013

Blueberry and Lemon Syrup Cake


What a beautiful day!!

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping...

...well I imagine they are considering my Ipod is filling my ears with the sweet, sweet sound of Ewan McGregor and the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. Could my legs get anymore jelly as I am swooned by his amazing voice. I think they should have cast me instead of Nicole Kidman or, better still, can I just marry him? 

'He is already married' I hear you say. Ahh, ye have little faith.............oh wait, I have a boyfriend, don't I? Oh, hmmm, a girl can only dream. 


Oh my! That got a bit heated, didn't it? 

I should probably get back to the subject at hand and that is this very delicious Blueberry and Lemon Syrup Cake. 


When I was still living at home, I used to make this cake (minus the blueberries) and no matter how well I greased the cake pan, it would always stick. And I mean ALWAYS! My Mum would do exactly the same thing and for whatever reason it would work for her and not me. However, this cake is so yummy I kept baking it anyway.

Lemon and blueberry is just one of those pairings that just works so perfectly. And as I was pondering my next post for you guys, I came up with the idea of adding blueberries to this already fantastic Lemon Syrup cake. Not only do I think it works, but I think it is even better than the original...not to mention very pretty. Combined with a tangy syrup, dust with icing sugar for a tea party or serve with cream for a decadent dessert. 


INGREDIENTS
250g Butter, room temperature
1 Tablespoon grated Lemon Rind
1 cup White Sugar
3 eggs
2 cups Self-raising Flour
1 cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 cups Frozen Blueberries 
Lemon Syrup
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
3/4 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Water
To make the Cake...
Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line either 2 loaf tins or a 23cm square cake tin. 

In an electric mixer, cream together the butter, lemon rind and sugar until pale in colour. Beat in the eggs one and a time, beating well with each addition. Add in the flour and buttermilk and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries, ensuring you don't over mix otherwise you'll end up with a blue mixture 

Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes for the loaf tins and approximately 60 minutes for the cake tin. Once cooked, cool slightly for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Drizzle the warm cake with warm lemon syrup. I recommend placing the wire rack over a tray to catch the excess syrup that runs off. Dust with icing sugar and serve

To make the Syrup...
Place all ingredients into a small saucepan. Without stirring, bring syrup to the boil. 



Here is where I have placed the cake rack over a tray before drizzling the syrup over the cake. OR alternatively you could use an old newspaper and simply throw away when you've finished. But believe me, whatever you use, it will definitely help with keeping the mess to a minimum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment