Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Two-Toned Banana Bread


I love Donna Hay! 

For Christmas I was surprised with a 12 month subscription to her magazine. And can I just say that if the rest are anything like the first magazine I received the year is going to be filled with many inspiring ideas for my blog. However, for now I thought would just give credit to Donna Hay and share her unbelievable recipe for Banana and Chocolate Bread (I have dubbed Two-toned Banana Bread) which is in the February/March issue. 

Banana bread is one of those things that I think people believe they are being healthy when really (who are we kidding) it's basically just a Banana Cake in disguise. But whatever the reason, it is still incredible delicious and given that this one is half chocolate, there is definitely no health incentive at all. ..

...especially if you're like me and like it with lashing of butter. 

INGREDIENTS
125g Butter, softened
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Bicarb Soda
1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
1 1/2 cups Smashed Banana (about 3-4 medium Bananas)
1/4 cup Golden Syrup
100g Dark Chocolate, melted
Cocoa or icing sugar, for dusting

To make the Banana Bread...
Preheat oven to 160°C.

Place the butter and brown sugar into an electric mixer and beat for 10 minutes until very pale in colour. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Sift together the dry ingredients and gently fold into the butter mixture until well combined. Add the banana and golden syrup and mix well.  Place half the mixture into a separate bowl and stir through the melted chocolate.  

In a lined loaf tin, place alternating spoonfuls each mixture. Swirl slightly with a knife to get a marbled effect. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean when you test it. 

Cool completely in the pan before turning out. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar. 


I was a bit impatient when it came to cooling the banana bread in the pan. I love mine with butter and there is nothing better then warm banana bread with butter melting through it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment