Sunday, 9 December 2012

Sherry Balls

Who doesn't love a sherry ball? My Brother loves them so much that they would all be gone within the first day, leaving none for the rest of us. At first I tried making more sherry balls, hoping that he would get sick of them (or sick from them) before the plateful was finished. And when that didn't work, I resorted to hiding them in the fridge. Eventually, I just had to face facts that no matter what I did, my brother would demolish them.

I can hear you all saying, 'aren't they normally made with rum?' Well, yes they are, but in my family it has always been sherry balls. So naturally I kept with tradition. But I can assure you that these will soon become one of your family traditions too. And, if you're like my brother, try not to eat them all at once. 



 This is the ideal consistency for the biscuits...it's almost sand like, with a few chunky bits

This has got to be the best cocoa I have ever used. Dark, bitter and completely indulgent. It's probably the closest I've come to a great chocolate flavour without using actual chocolate.

INGREDIENTS
250g Plain Sweet Biscuits
3 Tbs Cocoa
1 cup Coconut
395g tin Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 Tbs Sherry
Coconut, extra

To Make the Sherry balls...
In a food processor, crush the biscuits until quite fine...some chunky bits are ok too. Place in a bowl along with the cocoa and coconut. In a separate bowl, mix the sherry into the condensed milk. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

Roll about a teaspoon full of mixture into balls and roll in the extra coconut. Place on a plate and leave in the fridge overnight before eating.

If you're a real chocoholic, you may also like to roll the sherry balls in grated white chocolate

1 comment:

  1. Even better if you can hide them for a week so the flavours blend & the biscuit goes soft. xx

    ReplyDelete